Welcome to Liberty Just in Case

Glad you stopped by. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, either through a comment or by email.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Garrison Keillor on who should not have the right to vote

Garrison Keillor, host of A Prairie Home Companion on NPR, said on November 3rd that he was heading an organization to take away the right to vote from gays, Jews, and black people. He said further that if Gays, Jews and blacks are allowed to vote, why not Canadians?

This was said at a fund raiser in Chicago for a Children's Hospital. The audience laughed and applauded in agreement.

Are you offended?
Wondering why this wasn't page one in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, or Washington Post?
Wondering why Chris Matthews wasn't screaming about this on MSNBC?
Wondering why Nightline hasn't devoted multiple episodes to these racist, bigoted comments?

The reason is that Garrison Keillor said the above about born again Christians, not Gays, Jews, or African Americans.

Here's the actual quote:

"I am now the chairman of a national campaign to pass a constitutional amendment
to take the right to vote away from born-again Christians. [enthusiastic
audience applause] Just a little project of mine. My feeling is that born-again
people are citizens of heaven, that is where there citizenship is, [laughter] is
in heaven, it's not here among us in America. ..."

Where's the outrage at this blatant bigotry? Apparently its quite acceptable to say this about Christians, as they are apparently not a protected class, and therefore can be made targets for tax subsidized humor from an National Public Radio host. And the Mainstream Media can stay silent in agreement.

I'm reminded of an old quote:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.


by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

If Garrison Keillor is allowed to get away with this, what will be next?

Hat tip to Mike Gallagher for this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment