Welcome to Liberty Just in Case

Glad you stopped by. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, either through a comment or by email.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Bush Tapes: Exactly What Do You Disagree With?

To hear the MSM talk, you'd think Doug Wead's betrayal of a friend's confidence was right up there with the Johnson and Nixon tapes. The main revelation appears to be that the private Mr. Bush is, horrors! much like the public one. Here's one thing the MSM isn't touting much:

Early on, though, Mr. Bush appeared most worried that Christian conservatives would object to his determination not to criticize gay people. "I think he wants me to attack homosexuals," Mr. Bush said after meeting James Robison, a prominent evangelical minister in Texas.

But Mr. Bush said he did not intend to change his position. He said he told Mr. Robison: "Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I'm not going to kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?"

Later, he read aloud an aide's report from a convention of the Christian Coalition, a conservative political group: "This crowd uses gays as the enemy. It's hard to distinguish between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality, however."

"This is an issue I have been trying to downplay," Mr. Bush said. "I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays."

Told that one conservative supporter was saying Mr. Bush had pledged not to hire gay people, Mr. Bush said sharply: "No, what I said was, I wouldn't fire gays."

As early as 1998, however, Mr. Bush had already identified one gay-rights issue where he found common ground with conservative Christians: same-sex marriage. "Gay marriage, I am against that. Special rights, I am against that," Mr. Bush told Mr. Wead, five years before a Massachusetts court brought the issue to national attention.

As readers know well, distinguishing between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality is one of the underlying themes of this blog. For the President to "get it" long before it became a blazing issue shows once again why he's running circles around the left today.
It appears the only big news is how little news is contained in the tapes. I do wonder if the Left will castigate Wead for his secret taping the way they did Linda Tripp. I won't hold my breath waiting for the Times editorial on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment