Welcome to Liberty Just in Case

Glad you stopped by. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, either through a comment or by email.

Monday, August 23, 2004

From the New York Times, of all Places
Must've slipped through their censors.
Great piece by a Helo pilot in Iraq. Love the ending:

When critics of the war say their advocacy is on behalf of those of us risking
our lives here, it's a type of false patriotism. I believe that when Americans
say they "support our troops," it should include supporting our mission, not
just sending us care packages. They don't have to believe in the cause as I do;
but they should not denigrate it. That only aids the enemy in defeating us
strategically.
Michael Moore recently asked Bill O'Reilly if he would
sacrifice his son for Falluja. A clever rhetorical device, but it's the wrong
question: this war is about Des Moines, not Falluja. This country is breeding
and attracting militants who are all eager to grab box cutters, dirty bombs,
suicide vests or biological weapons, and then come fight us in Chicago, Santa
Monica or Long Island. Falluja, in fact, was very close to becoming a city our
forces could have controlled, and then given new schools and sewers and
hospitals, before we pulled back in the spring. Now, essentially ignored, it has
become a Taliban-like state of Islamic extremism, a terrorist safe haven. We
must not let the same fate befall Najaf or Ramadi or the rest of Iraq.


No, I would not sacrifice myself, my parents would not sacrifice me, and President
Bush would not sacrifice a single marine or soldier simply for Falluja. Rather,
that symbolic city is but one step toward a free and democratic Iraq, which is
one step closer to a more safe and secure America.
I miss my family, my
friends and my country, but right now there is nowhere else I'd rather be. I am
a United States Marine.
Glen G. Butler is a major in the Marines.


No comments:

Post a Comment