Welcome to Liberty Just in Case

Glad you stopped by. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, either through a comment or by email.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Go For Throttle Up: Roger, Go For Throttle Up

I was in 6th grade I think. We were at lunch. As I recall it was a particularly noisy day in the Longfellow Elementary lunchroom, but otherwise uneventful.

Our teacher showed up, as always, to return us to our classroom. Once we arrived, and the chaos settled, or teacher began. "I have some grave news to tell you all," she choked " the space shuttle has exploded…" The general and overwhelming feeling of "WHAT?!?!?!" immediately filled the room as Ms. Wardley's eyes filled with tears.

This wasn't supposed to happen, America was better than that… It is the first event in my life that marked its time in my personal calendar. From then on I could quickly answer the question, "Where were you when the Shuttle exploded?" We all have those moments, but this one was my first. Just as my mother's first was Kennedy, at around the same time in her life.

Strange how those things get seared into our consciousness.


Also Stop The ACLU has a good remembrance post

No comments:

Post a Comment