Welcome to Liberty Just in Case

Glad you stopped by. Take a look around, and let me know what you think, either through a comment or by email.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tookie and the Death Penalty

I am a proponent of the Death Penalty. I think it is a necessary evil and should be used in a more effective manner. Sitting on death row for 28 years is by no means a deterrent.

However, we would be misguided not to consider the individual being executed. Stanley “Tookie” Williams was convicted in 1981 for gunning down convenience store clerk Albert Owens, 26, at a 7-Eleven in Whittier, Calif., and killing Yen-I Yang, 76, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63, as well as the couple's daughter Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43, at the Los Angeles motel they owned. While Tookie consistently claimed his innocence in court, witnesses at the trial said he boasted about the killings, saying, "You should have heard the way he sounded when I shot him."

Tookie was a founding member of the Crips street gang, and cause more havoc in his day than had been seen up to that point, not to mention the untold terror and chaos the gang he helped create has reeked upon society.

Given all of that there have been claims as of late that he was truly and innocent man, and besides, even if he was guilty, he redeemed himself in prison, by eventually speaking out against gang violence and by writing a few children’s books aimed at deterring them from gangs. What wasn’t mentioned, were the countless prison riots he participated in, or his continued chaotic behavior behind bars.

I am a man of forgiveness and I truly hope he did turn himself around as he had claimed. I truly do hope he had redeemed himself, and I personally will pray for his soul. Tookie is dead, may he and his victims rest in peace.

May God’s will be done.

Adam Housley wrote a great closing for his article on FoxNews.com...
My closing thoughts are simple: I was nervous at first, unsure what to expect. I now understand this process is choreographed down to the number of surgical gloves in the execution chamber. The lethal injection execution is clinical, it is sterile and in the minds of a great majority of California voters, it is a just process. I leave with an understanding and with an experience I will never forget. My thoughts as I sit here outside the damp cold gates of San Quentin are with the victims and the incredible hurt their families have endured and will endure throughout their lifetimes. Stanley Tookie Williams has paid the ultimate price. And as the governor stated, he never seemed to show any remorse. -source

For a longer discussion of the death penalty, check out The Balance of Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment